Each week at New City Church, we have a time during the service when the primary age children come to the front to hear a short talk. Usually, this talk is done by myself or whoever is preaching on that particular Sunday. Over the years, I’ve developed a few basic principles for them:
1. We are teaching gospel truths to both kids AND adults. The reality is that sometimes (hopefully rarely!!) our adults may get more out of our “Kids Time” talk than they do out of our sermons.
2. Each week, we are also teaching adults how to communicate the gospel to children.
3. We need to be careful not teach moralism. In other words, we don’t want to teach the false gospel that God loves good little boys and girls.
4. We want to make Jesus is the hero of the story.
5. We can’t worry if don’t get it “just right” one week. We’re in this for the long haul. Our prayer is that the Spirit will work in the hearts of boys and girls as well as men and women week after week as they encounter the truths of the gospel.
What some help in this? Check our Jack Klumpenhower’s book “Show Them Jesus”. A few years back, we had Jack and his family around New City for a few months – I’d highly recommend this resource.